01 09 10

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Reflections on a school year

At the end of every school year many things happen. One of the most important is reflection.

Students reflect on what they have learned. Teachers reflect on what they have taught. Leaders reflect on the job they have done.

In Texas, our appraisal tool is a balanced look at the teacher's ability to effectively reach the students though deeper understanding of our state performance standards (TEKS) and appropriate higher level questioning techniques and outside classroom situations like communication with parents, students, colleagues and the community and using data to drive instruction.

As a teacher, I used the appraisal tool as a guide to keep me grounded to expectations. I maintain an on-going portfolio to ensure that I am following what the state is asking me to do as a classroom teacher. At the end of the year, teachers have an option to discuss the appraisal or just sign off on it. I always ask for a conference. I may need to fill in gaps or clear up misunderstandings, but I also use this time to set goals with my administrator for the next school year.

I take this opportunity to have a professional conversation with my administrator. I take a proactive role in my appraisal. However, some teachers, for whatever reason, do not take advantage of this opportunity. As a future administrator, I feel that it is my responsibility to make my staff feel comfortable in talking about the past year, the present circumstances and the future goals.

This brings us back to reflection. Reflection is good for the soul and necessary for improvement. Only when honest conversations can happen within someone can change and growth occur. As an administrator, I want my staff to see that I am a reflective practitioner. In doing so maybe they will be too.

No comments:

Post a Comment